Happy Wednesday! I told you last week that I would share my recipe for healthy spaghetti. This is an easy dinner and great for families! To make it healthier I replace pasta with Zucchini noodles, ground turkey instead of beef and overall making it gluten free and paleo friendly. My secret ingredient that my mom always used in her spaghetti sauce is balsamic vinegar! It gives the sauce a great rich flavor and reminds me of spaghetti night growing up.
Healthy Spaghetti with Zoodles
- 2lbs of Ground Turkey
- 2lbs of Zucchini Noodles (can be found pre-cut in produce section) or (4) whole Zucchini
- 1 Med Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 (16oz) Jar of Organic Tomato Sauce (read ingredients on jar and pick one with all natural ingredients and no dairy)
- 1 (16oz) Jar of Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes (not necessary but I like to have some tomato chunks in my sauce)
- Seasonings: 2 tsps of each: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Thyme and Oregano
- Olive Oil for cooking
Add 1tbsp of oil to large saute pan or sauce pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and saute until translucent. Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Add jar of sauce, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and seasonings. Let sauce come to boil and then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute zucchini noodles (zoodles!) in 1tsp of oil for 5 minutes until tender. If you don't have pre-cut noodles you will have to use a spiralizer to make them at home. This is very easy and way more cost-effective! I have linked the spiralizer pictured below. Its less than $10 and can be used for squash, sweet potatoes, etc!
This spiralizer is less than $10 and a great tool to have in your kitchen!
Serve up! I hope you enjoy.